Saturday, January 5, 2019

OceanPort Mystery

The oceanport mystery is a quick experiment i created when playing with my new fitbit versa. I used the convenient fitbit studio and some JavaScript to put it together in an afternoon and i liked it so much i just had to show it off.

Play it online: here

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Java 3d game engine

Ah java, how i love thy simplicity.
So i made this 3d applet a while back and figured i should probably post it somewhere. Before i got the change however, my hard drive corrupted.


All that work? gone.

I am working right now on rewriting what i can to show off that i did indeed make it, but youll have to spare me for my lack of snippets in the mean time.

Saturday, October 27, 2018


I've been studying opengl in hopes of making  a small game engine in c++.
I am following along with thebennybox's opengl game engine tutorials.
So far this has been a great learning experience and i am being introduced to some very advanced c++ concepts.

Here are some progress photos:

Saturday, October 20, 2018


Store Page

Please visit the store page for more information, the following will be a breakdown of the code.

Map Generation Part 1

Here is a work in progress for a dungeon generator i am putting together.

So far it generates some rooms:

Then it connects those rooms with hallways.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Seagull Ai

Here is an ai for seagulls. They fly around, land, and take off similar to actual birds. A world can easily be populated with these birds to bring more "life" into the environment.

Full Code Here

Thursday, November 30, 2017


Here is a inventory system i've made. It is inspired by systems like the one in resident evil 4
and focuses on items taking up physical space and shape, and requiring the player to manage their inventory space. For example, high value items could take up larger space, or be a strange shape, thus making it more difficult to carry. Note that objects can be rotated.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Portfolio Revamp

I've spent the day revamping my portfolio, and more specifically my portfolio website. As of now, the page is hosted on the free web server provided by scad, and the domain was purchased through go daddy to have a more memorable URL.

I created the website using adobe Dreamweaver, it is my first foray into html website design, and i think what I've learned can prove very useful on future projects. Honestly i managed to pick up html very easily, i like the setup of having CSS to handle every thing to do with style, and html handling the layout of elements. My main focus for my website were as follows:
  • Full control over layout and design
  • Sleek but not flashy design
  • Smooth page transitions
  • Integration of Blogger
  • Responsive design, working on tablet, mobile, and PC

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Jam 2015

I've Spent the last two days of my break making this little Christmas game.
The main point of this game was to make a fun game for my friends.

But more importantly, i now have written a script to synchronize game timers to music (most music synchronizes cost upwards of 30$ on the asset store).

Saturday, December 17, 2016


This is the student project i completed over 5 weeks during the 2016 fall quarter of SCAD. It is programmed in Processing. All art assets, animations, and sound effects are made by me.

I followed what i think to be fairly standard practices when it comes to organizing my code. I think the main game loop could be cleaned up. If i were to remake the project from scratch i would use jsons to hold the level data, that way i can hold more information each tile. I could then use a program called Tilded, which is perfect for this sort of thing.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

What Im Working On

Project Lethe(Working Title) is a point and click game set in a secluded Canadian town where something has gone very wrong behind the scenes. You play as a character which, due to an accident during his early life, has which separated his brain into 3 sections, each with their own memories, but sharing the same personality. He switches through these states of consciousness fairly frequently, so he records his actions inside a journal, in a way talking to himself. You play as one of his states of mind and must piece the puzzle together, as the town starts acting more and more strange, and you find you now cant seem to agree even with yourself. Here is some of the placeholder art, which makes it so i can design the game and an artist can later go in and finish the backgrounds.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016



My name is Nick Barber, I'm a programmer and game designer studying at Savannah College of Art and Design. I've decided to start a blog for a couple reasons. First off, being a programmer, i kind of feel like a black sheep here at SCAD. It can be difficult to show my work, as the first thing a player experiences is mainly visual aesthetics. I'll be using this blog to talk about what i'm working on and how i find solutions to the problems i'm finding.